Madoc-Marmora-Tweed - A Historical Lodge Outline

MADOC #48

Madoc was originally named MacKenzie’s Mills after Donald MacKenzie, who built a sawmill and grist mill forming a nucleus of a settlement here on Deer Creek. It was briefly named Hastings but

renamed Madoc after the legendary Welsh Prince, Lord Madoc of Wales. A post-office, Madoc was established in 1836, and the hamlet grew gradually, stimulated by lumbering, farming, and the opening of the Hastings Colonization Road(1854), which ran north from Madoc Township.

Late in the year 1853 to early 1854:

Masonic Brethren in the district decided to form a Lodge as evidenced by a dispensation which states:
Allan Napier McNabb, Grand Master for the Province of Canada West, sends greetings, whereas a humble petition has been presented to me by Bros. Jeptha Bradshaw, Cyrus Riggs, John Bradshaw, and John

Nixon, praying for a Warrant of Constitution, etc., to be called “The Madoc Lodge”. I do hereby appoint the said Jeptha Bradshaw to be the Wor. Master.
Signed at Toronto the 24th day of April, 1854.

Jun. 10, 1854:
Lodge #42 was held at Cyrus Riggs house, about 4 miles north of Madoc on the Cooper road, at 4:00pm, under dispensation from Grand Lodge of England.
It was resolved that this Lodge would meet on the Monday of each month at the hour of 5:00 in the afternoon preceeding the full moon.

Members present:
W.M. Jeptha Bradshaw S.W.
John Bradshaw J.W. Senece Riden
S.D. Martin Bradshaw
J.D. Andrew Rikely
Tyler, John Nickson
Tyler, protem, James Todd


Jul. 14, 1858:
Madoc Lodge # 42 was renumbered to be # 48 as a result of the union of The Grand Lodge of Canada and The Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada.

The Lodge called regular and emergent meetings at any hour without dispensation and closed after 1 a.m. frequently. During the early 1860’s the D.D.G.M. on his official visits, after being received, occupied the W.M. chair and conferred the E.A., F.C., and M.M. degrees in one night.

Aug. 30, 1854:
Richard Squires was duly initiated into Masonry as an Entered Apprentice Mason, thereby being the first E.A. Mason on this Lodge’s history and also the first set of bylaws for Madoc Lodge were introduced and accepted.

Apr. 25, 1855:
W. Bro. Jeptha Bradshaw was the first W.M. appointed to attend Grand Lodge,at London, Ont. An amount of $10.00 being allowed for expenses. Officers during the early years of the Lodge were elected

by a motion in open Lodge and installed on St. John’s Night.
Candidates were balloted on for each degree to be conferred.

Oct. 6, 1857:
A motion was adopted at a regular meeting to act under dispensation of the Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada.
The charter from that Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada to Madoc Lodge, # 945, Grand Lodge of England, and # 42, Grand Lodge of Canada, was dated September 10, 1857.

Jul. 14, 1858:
Madoc Lodge # 42 was renumbered to be # 48 as a result of the union of The Grand Lodge of Canada and The Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada.

1860:
Madoc Lodge moved to Bro. Reid’s Block, located opposite the Methodist Church, over Reid’s Wagon Shop on June 23. Until the late 1860’s, the English system of currency was used. Dues were collected at each Lodge meeting, 7-1/2 pence, in 1855 this was increased to 15 pence.

1865:
Madoc Lodge laid the cornerstone of ST. John’s Anglican Church. Bro Chas. O’Hara, initiated in 1861, was present at this ceremony. Bro. O’Hara was one of the
oldest Masons in Canada at the time of his death.

Dues of $1.50 per year were difficult to collect and in many cases, promissory notes were received for initiation and dues.

1865:
The first Masonic Funeral was held, and also in this year, promissory notes were discontinued.

--------
 

MARMORA #222

Marmora was named after Marmora Township, which is itself named for the Latin word for marble (marmor...oris). The rich history of Marmora is the story of mining in Eastern Ontario.
Since 1820 this Township has played a leading role in the development of iron mining.

Marmora was opened for sale in 1821, but there was little settlement outside of the newly created mining village. Although mining and lumbering have been vital to the Township, agriculture has

probably supported more people in the area since 1850.
A remaining legacy of iron mining is the Marmora open pit mine, a man-made wonderlake, seventy five acres in area, five hundred and fifty feet deep, filled with four hundred feet of clear blue spring water that is steadily rising to the top.

1870:
Can be designated as a historic year for Marmora. It was during the early part of the year 1870, when ten or more Brethren, members of lodges outside of the area of Marmora, that lived in Marmora and district had visions for the need of a Masonic Lodge in Marmora. It would be fair to assume that some belonged to Havelock and others belonged to Stirling Lodge 69.
These Brethren believed in the Supreme Being and the Brotherhood of Man.

Their enthusiasm directed them to proceed with the organization of a Masonic Lodge. This required them to give unsparingly of their time and effort. Their diligence resulted in a solid foundation being laid.

Their efforts being favourably received, a formal request was sent to Grand Lodge for a dispensation to hold meetings. This request for dispensation was favourably received by Grand Lodge, and a dispensation was granted on July 14, 1870 by Grand Master, Alexander Allan Stevenson, approving George Edward Bull as Worshipful Master, David Thichett as Senior Warden and John Purdy as Junior Warden. Sealed and signed by Thos. B. Harris, Grand Secretary.

Jan. 18, 1871, Thomas Warren was the first member to be initiated into Marmora Lodge No.222 and later in his Masonic journey became Wor. Master in the years 1874-1875 and later in 1883.

It is not only a privilege, but an honour to be asked to pass along to our Brethren present some of the highlights of Marmora Masonic Lodge, but due to the information available to me, I must be brief.

Feb. 1891:
The Lodge was favoured with a visit from Most Wor. Bro. J. R. Robertson, Grand Master. The meeting was held in the afternoon in order to accommodate the Grand Master’s return by train.
In the early years of the Lodge, transportation was quite a problem. It was necessary when making fraternal visits or conducting a Masonic funeral, to hire livery conveyances.

On occasion the train was used. To communicate with each other, letters were written or the telegraph was their quickest way of communication, when necessary.

Jun. 26th, 1885:
A communication was sent from the Grand Sec.’s office, authorized by the Grand Master, inviting all Brethren and their Lodges to attend a meeting of Grand Lodge to be held at Marmora, for the purpose of laying the Corner Stone of their new Masonic Temple.

Jun. 19th, 1891:
A communication was received from Grand Lodge, that draping the Lodge for three months in memory of R.W. Bro Sir John A. McDonald, the first Prime Minister of Canada, was required protocol. In the years to come, Marmora would be represented in the district by providing a D.D.G.M. The first honoured Member was R.W. Bro. Thos. E. Laycock, 1922-23.

He was followed by R.W. Bro. C.H. Buskard, 1939-40. Succeeding them R.W. Bro. Ralph E. Neal filled the office in 1972-73 and R.W.Bro. Rodney Tompkins was the last Marmora brother to fill this high station in 1989-90.

--------


TWEED #239

Tweed was first settled in the 1830,s and named Hungerford Mills, after the surrounding township. The settlement was renamed Tweed after the River Tweed in Scotland. The economic development of the community was enabled by lumbering and mining developments during the mid 19th century. Tweed became a service centre for area farmers. It was incorporated as a Village in 1891.

It was during the early part of the year 1870, when ten or more Brethren, members of Lodges outside of the area of Tweed, proceeded with the organization of a Masonic Lodge in Tweed. It would be fair to assume that some belonged to Madoc and others belonged to Mystic Lodge at Roslin.

These Brethren believed in the Supreme Being and the Brotherhood of Man. A formal request was sent to Grand Lodge for a dispensation to hold meetings, which was favourably received by Grand Lodge, and a dispensation was granted on October 3rd, 1870 by Grand Master Alexander Allan Stevenson approving John Francis P.M. of Madoc Lodge as Worshipful Master, John W. Byam as Senior Warden and John owning as Junior Warden, Sealed and signed by Thos. B. Harris, Grand Secretary.

The Brethren now had the requisite authority needed to proceed and hold meetings. The Orange Hall, which was then located in what is now known as the old Protestant Cemetery, was rented for a sum of
fifteen dollars per year. The first meeting was held on November 4th, 1870. Following the opening of the Lodge, the first application received was from Samuel Fisher.

By-laws were the next item on the agenda. It was agreed that they would adopt Madoc by-laws for the time being. With the exception that it required two B.Bs. to reject a candidate in Madoc, and Tweed adopted one B.B. as a rejection of a candidate.

Dec. 1870:
The second application for Masonry was received from George Munro and he was the first Brother to be initiated into the Tweed Lodge on Jan. 8th 1871.

July 1871:
Tweed Lodge received its warrant and charter issued under the name of M.W. Bro. Alexander Allan Stevenson, Grand Master, approving Bro. Chas. R Flint a Worshipful Master.

Aug. 1871:
W. Bro Chas. R. Flint attended Grand Lodge at Ottawa. Expenses for the occasion was $18.00. It is noted that the Lodge on several occasions hired livery horsesas a way of travel in making Fraternal Visits, and also that telegraph was their quickest and direct way of communication back and forth.

Mar. 1871:
A vote of thanks was tendered to the W. Master and members of Madoc Lodge for their help and kindness extended to this Lodge since installation. It would appear that Madoc Lodge is the Mother Lodge of was very active in helping to promote Tweed Lodge.

Mar. 1876:
The Lodge purchased Lot No. 103 in Tweed, Went ahead and built themselves a two story Lodge Hall 24’x 40’, and held their first meeting in the new hall on Dec. 27, 1876. The total cost of the furnished hall was $925.57.

Jun. 1893:
The Lodge sold their building to the Canadian Pacific (Ontario & Quebec) Railway.

Jun. 1885:
A communications was received from the Grand Sec’s office authorized by the Grand Master inviting Tweed Lodge to attend a meeting of Grand Lodge to be held at Marmora on the 15th of July for the purpose of laying the Corner Stone of their new Masonic Lodge.

Jun. 19th, 1891:
A communication was received re: draping the lodge for three months in memory of R.W. Bro. Sir John A McDonald. Past Prime Minister of Canada.

Sep. 1893:
It was moved and seconded that the Secretary was to notify the Brethren by way of summons.

--------

MADOC-MARMORA-TWEED #48

1870:

Madoc Brethren decided to build a home, 60’x 36’ on Durham St. exactly where we are located today.
This was financed by selling 200- $5.00 shares to be paid in quarterly installments, (remembering that back in those days a weekly wage would have been about .50 cents or less). The building was completed and occupied as a Lodge room about 1880. Construction was by voluntary labor. Two pillars were bought for $66.00. These were destroyed with the building in the fire of 1940.

1901:
Electric lights were installed in the Lodge building. C.H. Tumelty was elected D.D.G.M. the first for Madoc Lodge.

1905:
Bancroft Brethren petitioned Madoc Lodge for permission to approach Grand Lodge to form a Lodge at Bancroft. Permission was granted.

1914:
The present Tweed Lodge room was dedicated according to the minutes. The dedication was performed in a very credible manner. It is noted that Joseph Fredrich Gray of Thurlow had his petition presented to the Lodge. 56 years later his son, R.W. Bro. Earl Gray became our districts D.D.G.M. and his son Randy was presented with his Apron on the occasion of Tweeds Centennial Meeting. It is noted that members of the armed forces were exempt from dues until June 1919.

1917:
Madoc Lodge, A.H. Watson was elected D.D.G.M. During these years a record was established for attendance, and on average of 54 Brethren would be present per meeting. Initiation fees were raised to $35.00 and dues to $4.00.

1919:
March 19- Tweed Lodge received ten petitions and it is noted on occasion as many as four initiations were held in one evening. The Lodge did not call off for July and August due to the number of applications and degrees.

1922:
Tweed Lodge celebrated its 50th anniversary. M.W.Bro. Ponton, Grand Master was present from Belleville and also the first elected Master of Tweed Lodge, Bro.Chas. R. Flint, and he being the only living Chartered Member was received with special honours on the occasion.

1923:
T.E. Laycock was elected D.D.G.M. the first for Marmora Lodge.

1926:
Rt.Wor.Bro.F Edward Brown was elected the first D.D.G.M. for Tweed Lodge. It is noted that 114 members attended the D.D.G.M. Banquet. The O.E.S. catered the event for 50 cents per plate.

Sep. 13, 1929:
Rev William Lockridge Wright’s petition was received requesting to be received into Masonry. And later in the year 1955-1956 he advanced to the office of Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in Ontario.
Also in the year of 1929, R.W.Bro. George West was elected as D.D.G.M. from Madoc Lodge.

1930:
Over 150 Brethren attended Divine Service at the United Church and after depositing a wreath at the Cenotaph in memory of the Masonic Brethren that made the supreme supreme sacrifice in the Great War.

Mar. 13, 1931:
Tweed Lodge Initiation fees were raised to $50.00 from $35.00

May. 13, 1932:
In Tweed Lodge, it was moved and seconded and adopted that Article VIII of the Lodges by-laws be amended by striking out the word ONE B.B. and inserting instead the word TWO B.Bs.

Jul. 16, 1932:
Marmora Lodge elected R. W. Bro. Charles Buskard as D.D.G.M.

Dec 8, 1933:
The by-laws were again amended and the initiation fee was lowered back to the original fee of $35.00. It is noted from the minutes of the past ten years that there were plenty of Masonic work and refreshment functions up to 1931, then the Depression hit very hard with the result there were no candidates and dues were hard to collect. It was necessary at times to borrow money to meet their obligations.

Jan. 17, 1940:
Our Masonic hall was destroyed by fire. The building was a complete loss, but most of the records were saved. Letters from many Lodges expressing their regret at our loss were received. Arrangements were made with the Madoc Chapter of The Eastern Star to hold our meetings in their rooms. A committee of seven members was authorized to procure a meeting room and a building was purchased and renovated. The pedestals and altar were made by W. Bro. P.H Nayler, L.C. Blue and P. Gunn. The Secretary’s desk was presented by W. Bro E.T. Nayler.

Several members donated $25.00 each towards the purchase of the two pillars that you see today.

Sep. 21, 1942:
Another milestone in Masonic history occurred when the new Madoc Lodge room was dedicated by the Most Worshipful, the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in Ontario, John A McRae. Besides the Grand Master, Grand Secretary and Grand Chaplain, thirteen Lodges were represented by Grand Lodge members, who took part in the dedication ceremony.

Upwards of 200 members of Madoc Lodge and visitors overflowed the Lodge room. On Opening Lodge in the Second Degree, Grand Lodge was admitted and performed the impressive ceremony of dedicating the Madoc Masonic Hall. It is very seldom that a Lodge like Madoc’s has the privilege of having so many Grand Lodge Officers in attendance and very seldom that a Lodge has more than one dedication.

Madoc Lodge, which is number 48, is the 40th oldest Lodge in Canada. As was emphasized by several of the speakers, Madoc now had a Lodge room, which, while small in structure, compared with some city Temples, and one of which every member could be justly proud.

May. 9, 1947:
R. Wor. Bro. S. A. McCarey of Tweed Lodge was elected to the office of D.D.G.M.

1950:
A.V. Gaebel was elected D.D.G.M. of Madoc Lodge and E.T. Nayler was appointed Gran Steward.

Submitted by: V. W. Bro, Garnet Holmes, MMT Lodge #48 Public Relations Officer