The Birth of our Grand Lodge with respect to MMT No. 48

To form perfect fraternal union and harmony, establish order, ensure tranquility, provide for and promote the general welfare of the Craft, and secure to the fraternity of Canada, all the blessings of Masonic privileges: it is expedient, right, and our bounded duty to form a GRAND LODGE OF CANADA.

With this resolution, the Brethren of 41 Lodges from Canada East and Canada West assembled in the Masonic Hall in Hamilton on October 10, 1855, and brought into being the Grand Lodge of Canada. This was a bold and courageous step by the colonial Brethren.  

“We, the representatives of regularly warranted Lodges, here, in convention assembled, resolve: that the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Canada, be, and is hereby formed upon the ancient charges and constitution of Masonry.”


The first order of business was to prepare a new constitution.
William Mercer Wilson was duly elected as Grand Master for the ensuing twelve months.

The Grand Lodge was consecrated and the Grand Master installed on November 2, 1855, by M.W. Bro. H.T. Backus, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Michigan.

The former Grand Secretary of the United Grand Lodge of England, R.W. Bro. Dr. James Daniel, in his research into Colonial Freemasonry of the period, pointed out that the Grand Lodge of Canada was the first Grand Lodge in the Empire to be recognized by the parent Grand Lodge of England after declaring independence.

That is a singular distinction of which we should be immensely proud.

Thirty Lodges joined the new Grand Lodge. The Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada, successor to the Provincial Grand Lodge of Canada West, to which our Lodge #42 belonged, continued until 1858, when articles of union were approved by both Grand Lodges on July 14, 1858.

As a result, the Ancient Grand Lodge was declared dissolved and fraternal union was achieved, thus giving our Lodge a new number of 48.

Following Confederation in 1867, when four Provinces constituted the Dominion of Canada, the Lodges in Quebec passed a resolution on October 20, 1869, that, “The Grand Lodge of Quebec of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, be, and is hereby formed upon the Ancient Charges and Constitutions of Masonry.”

In 1885, a committee to review the Constitution recommended that the style and title of Grand Lodge be amended to “The Grand Lodge of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons of Canada in the Province of Ontario.” When the revised Constitution was adopted in 1887, the name became official, and so it has remained to the present day.

Today, our Grand Lodge occupies a position of respect among the Grand Lodges of North America. We are the largest Grand Lodge in Canada with more members than all the other nine Grand Lodges combined.

As we celebrate the 158th Anniversary of the founding of our Grand Lodge at this Thanksgiving season in 2013, we must be grateful for the determination, perseverance, and dedication of our founding fathers. We must never forget the debt we owe to those who have gone before us.

However, ”Do not follow in the footsteps of the men of old: seek what they sought.” It is our solemn duty to perpetuate the legacy of our ancient brethren.

(Read to the Brethren of MMT #48 by V.W. Bro. Garnet Holmes Lodge Historian
Prepared by MMT #48 Worshipful Master W. Bro. Bryan Moorcroft)

Madoc-Marmora-Tweed - A Historical Lodge Outline

MADOC #48

Madoc was originally named MacKenzie’s Mills after Donald MacKenzie, who built a sawmill and grist mill forming a nucleus of a settlement here on Deer Creek. It was briefly named Hastings but

renamed Madoc after the legendary Welsh Prince, Lord Madoc of Wales. A post-office, Madoc was established in 1836, and the hamlet grew gradually, stimulated by lumbering, farming, and the opening of the Hastings Colonization Road(1854), which ran north from Madoc Township.

Late in the year 1853 to early 1854:

Masonic Brethren in the district decided to form a Lodge as evidenced by a dispensation which states:
Allan Napier McNabb, Grand Master for the Province of Canada West, sends greetings, whereas a humble petition has been presented to me by Bros. Jeptha Bradshaw, Cyrus Riggs, John Bradshaw, and John

Nixon, praying for a Warrant of Constitution, etc., to be called “The Madoc Lodge”. I do hereby appoint the said Jeptha Bradshaw to be the Wor. Master.
Signed at Toronto the 24th day of April, 1854.

Jun. 10, 1854:
Lodge #42 was held at Cyrus Riggs house, about 4 miles north of Madoc on the Cooper road, at 4:00pm, under dispensation from Grand Lodge of England.
It was resolved that this Lodge would meet on the Monday of each month at the hour of 5:00 in the afternoon preceeding the full moon.

Members present:
W.M. Jeptha Bradshaw S.W.
John Bradshaw J.W. Senece Riden
S.D. Martin Bradshaw
J.D. Andrew Rikely
Tyler, John Nickson
Tyler, protem, James Todd


Jul. 14, 1858:
Madoc Lodge # 42 was renumbered to be # 48 as a result of the union of The Grand Lodge of Canada and The Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada.

The Lodge called regular and emergent meetings at any hour without dispensation and closed after 1 a.m. frequently. During the early 1860’s the D.D.G.M. on his official visits, after being received, occupied the W.M. chair and conferred the E.A., F.C., and M.M. degrees in one night.

Aug. 30, 1854:
Richard Squires was duly initiated into Masonry as an Entered Apprentice Mason, thereby being the first E.A. Mason on this Lodge’s history and also the first set of bylaws for Madoc Lodge were introduced and accepted.

Apr. 25, 1855:
W. Bro. Jeptha Bradshaw was the first W.M. appointed to attend Grand Lodge,at London, Ont. An amount of $10.00 being allowed for expenses. Officers during the early years of the Lodge were elected

by a motion in open Lodge and installed on St. John’s Night.
Candidates were balloted on for each degree to be conferred.

Oct. 6, 1857:
A motion was adopted at a regular meeting to act under dispensation of the Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada.
The charter from that Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada to Madoc Lodge, # 945, Grand Lodge of England, and # 42, Grand Lodge of Canada, was dated September 10, 1857.

Jul. 14, 1858:
Madoc Lodge # 42 was renumbered to be # 48 as a result of the union of The Grand Lodge of Canada and The Ancient Grand Lodge of Canada.

1860:
Madoc Lodge moved to Bro. Reid’s Block, located opposite the Methodist Church, over Reid’s Wagon Shop on June 23. Until the late 1860’s, the English system of currency was used. Dues were collected at each Lodge meeting, 7-1/2 pence, in 1855 this was increased to 15 pence.

1865:
Madoc Lodge laid the cornerstone of ST. John’s Anglican Church. Bro Chas. O’Hara, initiated in 1861, was present at this ceremony. Bro. O’Hara was one of the
oldest Masons in Canada at the time of his death.

Dues of $1.50 per year were difficult to collect and in many cases, promissory notes were received for initiation and dues.

1865:
The first Masonic Funeral was held, and also in this year, promissory notes were discontinued.

--------
 

MARMORA #222

Marmora was named after Marmora Township, which is itself named for the Latin word for marble (marmor...oris). The rich history of Marmora is the story of mining in Eastern Ontario.
Since 1820 this Township has played a leading role in the development of iron mining.

Marmora was opened for sale in 1821, but there was little settlement outside of the newly created mining village. Although mining and lumbering have been vital to the Township, agriculture has

probably supported more people in the area since 1850.
A remaining legacy of iron mining is the Marmora open pit mine, a man-made wonderlake, seventy five acres in area, five hundred and fifty feet deep, filled with four hundred feet of clear blue spring water that is steadily rising to the top.

1870:
Can be designated as a historic year for Marmora. It was during the early part of the year 1870, when ten or more Brethren, members of lodges outside of the area of Marmora, that lived in Marmora and district had visions for the need of a Masonic Lodge in Marmora. It would be fair to assume that some belonged to Havelock and others belonged to Stirling Lodge 69.
These Brethren believed in the Supreme Being and the Brotherhood of Man.

Their enthusiasm directed them to proceed with the organization of a Masonic Lodge. This required them to give unsparingly of their time and effort. Their diligence resulted in a solid foundation being laid.

Their efforts being favourably received, a formal request was sent to Grand Lodge for a dispensation to hold meetings. This request for dispensation was favourably received by Grand Lodge, and a dispensation was granted on July 14, 1870 by Grand Master, Alexander Allan Stevenson, approving George Edward Bull as Worshipful Master, David Thichett as Senior Warden and John Purdy as Junior Warden. Sealed and signed by Thos. B. Harris, Grand Secretary.

Jan. 18, 1871, Thomas Warren was the first member to be initiated into Marmora Lodge No.222 and later in his Masonic journey became Wor. Master in the years 1874-1875 and later in 1883.

It is not only a privilege, but an honour to be asked to pass along to our Brethren present some of the highlights of Marmora Masonic Lodge, but due to the information available to me, I must be brief.

Feb. 1891:
The Lodge was favoured with a visit from Most Wor. Bro. J. R. Robertson, Grand Master. The meeting was held in the afternoon in order to accommodate the Grand Master’s return by train.
In the early years of the Lodge, transportation was quite a problem. It was necessary when making fraternal visits or conducting a Masonic funeral, to hire livery conveyances.

On occasion the train was used. To communicate with each other, letters were written or the telegraph was their quickest way of communication, when necessary.

Jun. 26th, 1885:
A communication was sent from the Grand Sec.’s office, authorized by the Grand Master, inviting all Brethren and their Lodges to attend a meeting of Grand Lodge to be held at Marmora, for the purpose of laying the Corner Stone of their new Masonic Temple.

Jun. 19th, 1891:
A communication was received from Grand Lodge, that draping the Lodge for three months in memory of R.W. Bro Sir John A. McDonald, the first Prime Minister of Canada, was required protocol. In the years to come, Marmora would be represented in the district by providing a D.D.G.M. The first honoured Member was R.W. Bro. Thos. E. Laycock, 1922-23.

He was followed by R.W. Bro. C.H. Buskard, 1939-40. Succeeding them R.W. Bro. Ralph E. Neal filled the office in 1972-73 and R.W.Bro. Rodney Tompkins was the last Marmora brother to fill this high station in 1989-90.

--------


TWEED #239

Tweed was first settled in the 1830,s and named Hungerford Mills, after the surrounding township. The settlement was renamed Tweed after the River Tweed in Scotland. The economic development of the community was enabled by lumbering and mining developments during the mid 19th century. Tweed became a service centre for area farmers. It was incorporated as a Village in 1891.

It was during the early part of the year 1870, when ten or more Brethren, members of Lodges outside of the area of Tweed, proceeded with the organization of a Masonic Lodge in Tweed. It would be fair to assume that some belonged to Madoc and others belonged to Mystic Lodge at Roslin.

These Brethren believed in the Supreme Being and the Brotherhood of Man. A formal request was sent to Grand Lodge for a dispensation to hold meetings, which was favourably received by Grand Lodge, and a dispensation was granted on October 3rd, 1870 by Grand Master Alexander Allan Stevenson approving John Francis P.M. of Madoc Lodge as Worshipful Master, John W. Byam as Senior Warden and John owning as Junior Warden, Sealed and signed by Thos. B. Harris, Grand Secretary.

The Brethren now had the requisite authority needed to proceed and hold meetings. The Orange Hall, which was then located in what is now known as the old Protestant Cemetery, was rented for a sum of
fifteen dollars per year. The first meeting was held on November 4th, 1870. Following the opening of the Lodge, the first application received was from Samuel Fisher.

By-laws were the next item on the agenda. It was agreed that they would adopt Madoc by-laws for the time being. With the exception that it required two B.Bs. to reject a candidate in Madoc, and Tweed adopted one B.B. as a rejection of a candidate.

Dec. 1870:
The second application for Masonry was received from George Munro and he was the first Brother to be initiated into the Tweed Lodge on Jan. 8th 1871.

July 1871:
Tweed Lodge received its warrant and charter issued under the name of M.W. Bro. Alexander Allan Stevenson, Grand Master, approving Bro. Chas. R Flint a Worshipful Master.

Aug. 1871:
W. Bro Chas. R. Flint attended Grand Lodge at Ottawa. Expenses for the occasion was $18.00. It is noted that the Lodge on several occasions hired livery horsesas a way of travel in making Fraternal Visits, and also that telegraph was their quickest and direct way of communication back and forth.

Mar. 1871:
A vote of thanks was tendered to the W. Master and members of Madoc Lodge for their help and kindness extended to this Lodge since installation. It would appear that Madoc Lodge is the Mother Lodge of was very active in helping to promote Tweed Lodge.

Mar. 1876:
The Lodge purchased Lot No. 103 in Tweed, Went ahead and built themselves a two story Lodge Hall 24’x 40’, and held their first meeting in the new hall on Dec. 27, 1876. The total cost of the furnished hall was $925.57.

Jun. 1893:
The Lodge sold their building to the Canadian Pacific (Ontario & Quebec) Railway.

Jun. 1885:
A communications was received from the Grand Sec’s office authorized by the Grand Master inviting Tweed Lodge to attend a meeting of Grand Lodge to be held at Marmora on the 15th of July for the purpose of laying the Corner Stone of their new Masonic Lodge.

Jun. 19th, 1891:
A communication was received re: draping the lodge for three months in memory of R.W. Bro. Sir John A McDonald. Past Prime Minister of Canada.

Sep. 1893:
It was moved and seconded that the Secretary was to notify the Brethren by way of summons.

--------

MADOC-MARMORA-TWEED #48

1870:

Madoc Brethren decided to build a home, 60’x 36’ on Durham St. exactly where we are located today.
This was financed by selling 200- $5.00 shares to be paid in quarterly installments, (remembering that back in those days a weekly wage would have been about .50 cents or less). The building was completed and occupied as a Lodge room about 1880. Construction was by voluntary labor. Two pillars were bought for $66.00. These were destroyed with the building in the fire of 1940.

1901:
Electric lights were installed in the Lodge building. C.H. Tumelty was elected D.D.G.M. the first for Madoc Lodge.

1905:
Bancroft Brethren petitioned Madoc Lodge for permission to approach Grand Lodge to form a Lodge at Bancroft. Permission was granted.

1914:
The present Tweed Lodge room was dedicated according to the minutes. The dedication was performed in a very credible manner. It is noted that Joseph Fredrich Gray of Thurlow had his petition presented to the Lodge. 56 years later his son, R.W. Bro. Earl Gray became our districts D.D.G.M. and his son Randy was presented with his Apron on the occasion of Tweeds Centennial Meeting. It is noted that members of the armed forces were exempt from dues until June 1919.

1917:
Madoc Lodge, A.H. Watson was elected D.D.G.M. During these years a record was established for attendance, and on average of 54 Brethren would be present per meeting. Initiation fees were raised to $35.00 and dues to $4.00.

1919:
March 19- Tweed Lodge received ten petitions and it is noted on occasion as many as four initiations were held in one evening. The Lodge did not call off for July and August due to the number of applications and degrees.

1922:
Tweed Lodge celebrated its 50th anniversary. M.W.Bro. Ponton, Grand Master was present from Belleville and also the first elected Master of Tweed Lodge, Bro.Chas. R. Flint, and he being the only living Chartered Member was received with special honours on the occasion.

1923:
T.E. Laycock was elected D.D.G.M. the first for Marmora Lodge.

1926:
Rt.Wor.Bro.F Edward Brown was elected the first D.D.G.M. for Tweed Lodge. It is noted that 114 members attended the D.D.G.M. Banquet. The O.E.S. catered the event for 50 cents per plate.

Sep. 13, 1929:
Rev William Lockridge Wright’s petition was received requesting to be received into Masonry. And later in the year 1955-1956 he advanced to the office of Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in Ontario.
Also in the year of 1929, R.W.Bro. George West was elected as D.D.G.M. from Madoc Lodge.

1930:
Over 150 Brethren attended Divine Service at the United Church and after depositing a wreath at the Cenotaph in memory of the Masonic Brethren that made the supreme supreme sacrifice in the Great War.

Mar. 13, 1931:
Tweed Lodge Initiation fees were raised to $50.00 from $35.00

May. 13, 1932:
In Tweed Lodge, it was moved and seconded and adopted that Article VIII of the Lodges by-laws be amended by striking out the word ONE B.B. and inserting instead the word TWO B.Bs.

Jul. 16, 1932:
Marmora Lodge elected R. W. Bro. Charles Buskard as D.D.G.M.

Dec 8, 1933:
The by-laws were again amended and the initiation fee was lowered back to the original fee of $35.00. It is noted from the minutes of the past ten years that there were plenty of Masonic work and refreshment functions up to 1931, then the Depression hit very hard with the result there were no candidates and dues were hard to collect. It was necessary at times to borrow money to meet their obligations.

Jan. 17, 1940:
Our Masonic hall was destroyed by fire. The building was a complete loss, but most of the records were saved. Letters from many Lodges expressing their regret at our loss were received. Arrangements were made with the Madoc Chapter of The Eastern Star to hold our meetings in their rooms. A committee of seven members was authorized to procure a meeting room and a building was purchased and renovated. The pedestals and altar were made by W. Bro. P.H Nayler, L.C. Blue and P. Gunn. The Secretary’s desk was presented by W. Bro E.T. Nayler.

Several members donated $25.00 each towards the purchase of the two pillars that you see today.

Sep. 21, 1942:
Another milestone in Masonic history occurred when the new Madoc Lodge room was dedicated by the Most Worshipful, the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in Ontario, John A McRae. Besides the Grand Master, Grand Secretary and Grand Chaplain, thirteen Lodges were represented by Grand Lodge members, who took part in the dedication ceremony.

Upwards of 200 members of Madoc Lodge and visitors overflowed the Lodge room. On Opening Lodge in the Second Degree, Grand Lodge was admitted and performed the impressive ceremony of dedicating the Madoc Masonic Hall. It is very seldom that a Lodge like Madoc’s has the privilege of having so many Grand Lodge Officers in attendance and very seldom that a Lodge has more than one dedication.

Madoc Lodge, which is number 48, is the 40th oldest Lodge in Canada. As was emphasized by several of the speakers, Madoc now had a Lodge room, which, while small in structure, compared with some city Temples, and one of which every member could be justly proud.

May. 9, 1947:
R. Wor. Bro. S. A. McCarey of Tweed Lodge was elected to the office of D.D.G.M.

1950:
A.V. Gaebel was elected D.D.G.M. of Madoc Lodge and E.T. Nayler was appointed Gran Steward.

Submitted by: V. W. Bro, Garnet Holmes, MMT Lodge #48 Public Relations Officer

All About Bancroft Lodge #482

Bancroft Lodge #482 was instituted in 1905 and is located in a purpose-built structure (meaning that it is a 2-storey building with the lodge on the upper floor and the ground floor being a rental property).

The building was erected in 1910 and has been in use for 101 years with rental income for all but one of those years.

We are located at 63 Hastings Street in Bancroft, which is the main thoroughfare. In 2010-11, we spent over $90,000 refurbishing the inside and outside of the building which is now one of the most attractive on the main street. Two new washrooms, a stair lift, new air conditioning and heater units, and complete new exterior siding. At present, we have approximately 170 members and are the most northerly lodge in the Prince Edward Masonic District.  

We feature a "Coffee Club" every Friday from 10:00am until 1:00pm. All are welcome, including our ladies, friends, cottagers, neighbours and children as we have games, crayons, kids card games, etc.

for them. It began in 2000 and we've welcomed over 14,000 visitors/guests from many states, provinces and countries. The Coffee Club also has an annual event, either a live theatre production (Belleville or Lindsay) or a cruise and a feast at a Belleville restaurant. We also began a "Robbie Burns Night" on January 25, 2010 and expect it to continue for years to come as it proved to be very popular.

We regularly donate to local charities including the local hospital building and x-ray funds and several Masonic district funds, and built a "Conversation Square" in Millennium Park in Bancroft to celebrate our 100th Anniversary in 2005. The Lodge is also a sponsor of a kids soccer team (age groups Tykes 4-6, Juniors 7-8 and Intermediates 9-11). In 2011, our Intermediate Team won the over-all league championship!.

We welcome interested folks to come and join us at the Coffee Club, take a tour of the lodge room, and learn something about Freemasonry and what it has to offer the individual, his family and the community in which we live. If interested, please contact Worshipful Master Larry Marlowe at (613-332-1417) or Historian R.W. Bro. Frank Wilson (613-332-0222).

Originally submitted October 3, 2011  (from R.W. Bro. Frank Wilson, Lodge Historian and Reporter)

Belleville Lodge #4 to The Belleville Temple #123

A Retrospect

From previous Records, the assistance of our secretary and many other respected brethren the following extracts may be of interest to those who have been associated with us during the last One Hundred and Fifty years.

Origin and Founding

Before 1800 there was a Lodge in Belleville, called Belleville Lodge No. 4/496, being No. 4 of Canada and No. 496 of England. This old Lodge seems to have met irregularly, about 1802 what was left of it became Moira Lodge, later known as No. 11 of the Grand Lodge of Canada.

This is clearly indicated in a minute of the Belleville Lodge, dated November 1st, 1860, which definitely stated that they considered Moira Lodge the successor to Belleville Lodge No. 4/496. August 22, 1859, Wor. Bro. A.B. Elmer became a charter member of a new lodge being proposed and known as The Belleville Lodge by charter granted December 22, 1859 and numbered 123 on the Grand Register. We are told that the application for a charter read, "Belleville Lodge", but the engraver printed the word, "THE" in front of Belleville, so as a result out title officially contains the two words, "The Belleville".

The first meeting of December 22, 1859 show 10 visitors from Moira Lodge, No. 11, and 6 from Belleville Lodge, No. 4/496, probably former members of this old Lodge. This was evidently the birth of our present Lodge. And so work began in earnest on January 5, 1860, when R.W. Bro. J.C. Franck, D.D.G.M. of the District accompanied by Worshipful Bro. L.H. Henderson, District Secretary, were duly received. The D.D.G.M. read the Dispensation for the Lodge. Bro. A.B. Elmer, Worshipful Master, Bro. J. Wannacott, Senior Warden, and Bro. R. Newberry, Junior Warden, named in the Dispensation, were duly installed in their respective chairs.

The summons read, stated that the communication was for the purpose of opening and establishing a new lodge to be called, "The Belleville Lodge Under Dispensation." and the following First Officers were Invested: W.M. A.B. Elmer; I.P.M. A.A. Campbell; S.W. J. Wannacott; J.W. W.H. Ponton; Treasurer R. Wallbridge; Secretary D. Moodie; S.D. J.R. Stimers; J.D. E. Burrell; I.G. N. O'Camb; Tyler J. Green. Declared by J.C. Franck, D.D.G.M. and L.H. Henderson District Secretary. Temple Lodge No. 666, first met in the newly constituted Temple for which it was named on January 1, 1951 and on October 16, 1951 the Grand Master, M.W. Nelson Collins Hart issued formally the Charter denominated Temple Lodge and consecrated as No. 666.on the register of Grand Lodge.

He appointed Jack Marsh the First Worshipful Master; J.A. Thornbury the First Senior Warden and Harold Mott the First Junior Warden. V.W. Bro. Marsh is the founding father of our current Temple on Foster Avenue for which a plaque commemorating this is placed in the foyer of the Temple. The foundation of our new Lodge, "The Belleville-Temple Lodge, No. 123," is the result of a desired amalgamation of Temple Lodge, No. 666 and The Belleville Lodge, No. 123. On January 20, 2007: M.W. Bro. Gary L. Atkinson Grand Master officiated the Amalgamation Ceremony of The Belleville Lodge No. 123 G.R.C. and Temple Lodge No. 666 G.R.C. and hence the formation of The Belleville-Temple Lodge No. 123 G.R.C. our proud banner of operation today.  

Although not at present recorded in a comprehensive history it is worthy of note that The First Master of Temple Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 666 was V.W. Bro. John E. Marsh; the Last Master of Temple Lodge No. 666 was Wor. Bro. Ryan Hewton. The Last Master of The Belleville Lodge A.F. & A.M. No. 123 was Wor. Bro. Wayne Tremble; the First Master of The Belleville-Temple Lodge No. 123 was Wor. Bro. Daryl E. Konkin, who, being installed in the chair of Solomon, the Grand Master having put the care of the amalgamated lodge in his hands, invested the new officers and closed the new lodge in harmony for the first time.

The journey begun, has been long, sometimes arduous, many times exciting and always fulfilling. In a short monograph such as this, we must unfortunately content ourselves with a simple passing reference to a few salient points of some interest which have made this journey so worthwhile.  

A historical reproduction would be a project worthy of a historical committee's consideration.
June 29, 1866: Recorded our rent to be $4.00, heat and light included. – December 27, 1876: The Auditors reported a membership of 102. Two years later, December 27, 1878: The membership diminished to 91. – January 7, 1897: The membership had by now risen to 132 and the first P.M.'s Jewel was approved for Wor. Bro. J.E. Walmsley. One year later membership reached 138. – December 1, 1910: Saw the completion of 50 years of active existence. – March 8, 1911: A Special Communication of Grand Lodge held for the purpose of dedicating the Lodge Room of Moira Lodge No. 11, The Belleville Lodge No. 123, and Eureka Lodge No. 183.

The Grand Lodge was welcomed on this occasion by Wor. Bro. C.D. Dyke, W.M. of The Belleville Lodge on behalf of the three Lodges. – May 2, 1912: A motion was passed amending the By-Laws of the Lodge to increase the Initiation fee from $35.00 to $50.00. – July 1921: R.W. Bro. Col. W.N. Ponton was elected Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario. – May 31, 1926: Wor. Bro. John McKeown, 51 years a Past Master, was presented with the first Long Service Medal awarded in this District. – December 5, 1935: The Lodge commemorated it's 75th Anniversary. M.W. Bro. W.N. Ponton delivered an address at the 4th Degree. – April 29, 1950: The first sod was turned for the new $125,000.00 Temple on Foster Avenue, our present location. The corner stone was laid by the Grand Master, M.W. Bro. James P. Maher on June 28, 1950 and the Temple was dedicated to Craft Masonry on March 20, 1951 by M.W. Bro. W. J. Dunlop, P.G.M. – April 5, 1951: New By-Laws as prepared by a Committee were adopted and a beautiful new Volume of the Sacred Law and a handsome set of Working Tools in a case were presented to the Lodge by Brother William Leslie. – July 1953: Wor. Bro. R.M. Gunsolus was elected Grand Senior Warden – December 27, 1959 to December 18, 1960: During the Centennial Assembly 1960: of The Belleville Lodge No. 123, Brother Carman Adams, a life member, presented the new gold-braided regalia as a gift to the Officers which is still in use today. So, going forward with a common interest, perfect unity, close fraternity with each other, fidelity to our Mother Lodge, and a due consideration and discharge of our Masonic duties will raise our lodge to a higher level, and convince the Craft that upon the Grand Register of Canada there is inscribed no more honourable name than that of "The Belleville-Temple Lodge No. 123."

Some of our Masonic Home

Available information informs us that the first Masonic Lodge in the Bay of Quinte District was formed in September 1801. This lodge met in Simpson's Tavern, a log building which stood at what is now the south-east corner of Dundas and Front Streets in Belleville. John Simpson, who had settled here and built the log tavern was a United Empire Loyalist. The tavern was destroyed by fire in 1812 along with Lodge records.

For a short time the Lodge met in John Everett's Hotel which stood on the north side of what is now Victoria Avenue between Pinnacle Street and Front. After 1835 the Lodge met in the Holden Building located on the west side of Front Street opposite what is now Victoria Avenue. It was here that the newly formed Lodge, The Belleville Lodge No. 123 and Moira Lodge No. 11 met in 1860.

Some time after 1865 the Masons changed quarters and met in a hall on the west side of John Street, formerly the Orange Hall, situated near the north-west corner of Bridge and John Streets. On July 9, 1870, the Masons bought the old Methodist Church on the west side of Pinnacle Street between the city market and Dundas Street which they sold in 1873 to the Grand Junction Railway Company.

In October 1874 the Masons purchased the three story building which stands on the east side of Front Street opposite the Upper Bridge. Masonry, flourishing it was thought that a better building was needed for which purpose a motion was passed giving instructions to the Special Committee composed of members of the Sister Lodges and other Masonic bodies, to conclude an agreement of sale with Bro. E.T. Cherry for the purchase of the lot at the north-east corner of Victoria Avenue and Pinnacle Street for the sum of $3,000.00. It was proposed to eventually build a new Temple on this property. April 29, 1950.

The first sod was turned for the new $125,000.00 Temple on Foster Avenue, our present location. The corner stone was laid by the Grand Master, M.W. Bro. James P. Maher on June 28, 1950 and the Temple was dedicated to Craft Masonry on March 20, 1951 by M.W. Bro. W. J. Dunlop, P.G.M. On December 12, 1950 the last meeting, an Emergent, was held in the Old Temple on Upper Front Street.

GRAND LODGE HONOURS

The following brethren have been signally honoured by The Grand Lodge of Canada
M.W. Bro. Col. William Nisbet Ponton 1855–1939 (deceased)

Present Grand Lodge Officers active in Lodge and District.

R.W. Bro. R.M. Gunsolus Elected Grand Sr. Warden 1953 and in 1964 Appointed the Grand Representative to The Grand Lodge Of Wisconsin

R.W. Bro. R.W. Verrall Elected D.D.G.M. 1988–1989

R.W. Bro. P. Penner Elected D.D.G.M. 1996–1997

R.W. Bro. T.J. Ross Elected D.D.G.M. 2003–2004

R.W. Bro. M.B. Allen Elected D.D.G.M. 2005–2006

V.W. Bro. Wm. English appointed Grand Steward 1987–1988

V.W. Bro. F.W. Furmidge appointed Grand Steward 1991–92

V.W. Bro. W. Goodfellow appointed Grand Steward 1994–1995

V.W. Bro. C. Allan appointed Grand Steward 1994–1995

V.W. Bro. E. Badgly appointed Grand Steward 2001–2002

V.W. Bro. T.W. McMillan appointed Grand Steward 2003–2004

V.W. Bro. D.C. Bain appointed Grand Steward 2004–2005

V.W. Bro. G. Moore appointed Grand Steward 2004–2005

V.W. Bro. B.P. Rodgers appointed Grand Steward 2006–2007

V.W. Bro. J. King appointed Assistant Grand Chaplain 2007
Awarded the William Mercer Wilson Medal: Bro. G. Sills 2004

150th ANNIVERSARY

December 22, 1859 – December 22, 2009

Friday, April 30, 2010

GRAND LODGE OFFICERS

(Participating in the ceremony)

M.W. Bro. Raymond S. J. Daniels, Grand Master

R.W. Bro. Norm Mathie, Grand Senior Warden

R.W. Bro. Rev. Fr.William M. White, Grand Chaplain

R.W. Bro. William J. Lewis, District Deputy Grand Master - Prince Edward District

R.W. Bro. Richard D. Burden, Past District Deputy Grand Master - Prince Edward District

CHARTER MEMBERS

Worshipful Master - A. B. Elmer

Immediate Past Master -A. A. Campbell

Senior Warden - J. Wannacott

Junior Warden -R. Newberry>

Secretary - D. Moodie

Treasurer- R. Wallbridge

Senior Deacon - J. R. Stimers

Junior Deacon - E. Burrell

Inner Guard - N. O'Camb

Tyler - J. Green

Declared by J. C. Franck, D.D.G.M. and L. H. Henderson, District Secretary

 

LODGE OFFICERS - The Belleville-Temple affiliated lodge 2010

Living Past Masters

(former The Belleville Lodge No. 123)

1949 – Raymond M. Gunsolus

1962 – W.J. James Rapino

1964 – George T. Greatrix

1970 – W.J. Needham Throop

1973 – R. G. Cruikshank

1976 – George Bongard

1978 – Fred W. Furmidge

1980 – Richard Bredner

1981 – Harry S. Smith

1982 – Brian P. Rodgers

1984 – Morley B Allen

1985 – John H. Ocquaye

1987 – John A.D. McLean

1988 – D. Brian Harder

1989 – R. Stephen Beare

1990 – George Bateman

1992 – Tim Pomfret

1993 – Ray J. Miller

1994 – Leonard Tufford 

1995 – Lawrence Hartwig

1996 – Charles Buhler

1997 – Douglas G. English

1998 – Douglas G. English

1999 – Marvin J. Smith

2000 – Steve Westlake

2001 – James J. McGrath

2002 – Ken M. Collard

2003 – Ken M. Collard

2004 – Donald S. Greer

2005 – Donald S. Greer

2006 – Wayne Tremble

(former Temple Lodge No. 666)

1958 – R.S. Kirkconnell 

1967 – Robert S. Smith

1974 – Ronald B. Buskard

1978 – R.W. Verrall

1983 – George R. Moore

1984 – Donald Pennycook

1985 – Wm. Goodfellow

1986 – R.F. Scott

1988 A. Anthony

1989 – J. A. McKay

1990 – Lloyd Kellet

1992 – Thomas J. Ross

1994 – R. George Winkler

1995 – Terry A. King

1996 – Dennis Bain

1997 – Dennis Bain

1998 – Brian N, Price

1999 – Roderick M. McLeod

2000 – Thomas J. Ross

2001 – Tom E. Thompson

2002 – Tom E. Thompson

2003 – Michaell S. Kerr

2004 – Brian N. Price

2005 – Brian N. Price

2006 – Ryan Hewton

The Belleville-Temple Lodge No. 123

2007 – Daryl Konkin

2008 – Ron Globe

2009 – C. Allan

2010 – Harold Newton

Update on Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 10:00PM by W. Bro. Chris Amos, Colborne Lodge No. 91

In "The History of Freemasonry in Canada", Vol. I, by John Ross Robertson which I thought might be of interest to you. This lodge was warranted by the Provincial Grand Lodge  of Upper Canada, under the Provincial Grand Master William Jarvis, on March 10, 1801, and initially went by the name "The Lodge at Thurlow" No. 17 (pg. 367). The places of the first meetings are unknown, though possibly in the home of John or Hans Walter Myer arrived at Belleville in 1790 (already a Freemason from
Cataraqui Lodge No. 14), until 1804 when they began to meet in the upper floor of a storehouse at the SE corner of Front & Dundas Streets built several years earlier by John Simpson (who died in 1803), whose widow sold the building to a Mr. Thompson who presumably used the main floor as a blacksmith shop.

This building burned in 1812 and all records, as well as the original warrant, were lost. Subsequently the lodge met in a house at the corner of Dundas Street & Church, and then at the Windsor Hotel on the NE corner of Bridge & Coleman, then at the Royal Hotel, and then during the 1840's at a location on John Street West.

Belleville was originally called Myer's Creek and did not receive the name Belleville until 1816 (pg. 799) and on Feb. 9, 1819, the Lodge at Thurlow was named Belleville Lodge No. 17 and was referred to, as such, during the Convention of 1820 (the 2nd Provincial Grand Lodge was formed in 1822) and on Sept. 23, 1822 received the No. 496 ER from the Grand Lodge of England.

"The History of Freemasonry in Canada";
(Vol. I, pg. 810) provides the following information about the Role of Officers
For the years between 1812 - 1822:

1812 WM Thos. Sparham Jr; Sec'y Simon McNabb; Tyler James Harris --
1817 WM A. B. Couch; SW J. B. Maybee; JW Asa Yeomans --
1820 WM Anson Ladd; SW Jeptha Bradshaw; JW Daniel Wright; Sec'y James Bickford --
1821 WM Daniel Wright; SW James Bickford; JW Ben Ketchum; Sec'y . J.E.Sleeper; SD Theo Nelson; JD Joseph Huckeye; Tyler Anson Ladd --
1822 WM J. Bickford; SW Caleb Morton; JW Anson Ladd; Sec`y D. B. Sole; --

The Legend of the Franck Lodge Baton

It is no great secret in Franck Lodge that the Baton carried by our Director of Ceremonies was a gift from another Lodge and contains within it information about its origins. I’m not sure how many have actually inspected its parchment document. I did recently.

The Baton was presented to W. Bro. Phillip Earl Bonisteel, W. Master of Franck Lodge on October 31, 1936 by visiting brethren from Bay of Quinte Lodge No. 620, Toronto. Not that old a Lodge at the time, it had been formed in Toronto, largely by brethren who had come from the Quinte area.
 
The Baton was fashioned for ironwood on the Kingston family farm in Rawdon Township. It had been cut about 1866 by the father of V. W. Bro. Kingston. The original ironwood pole had then been used for many years as barn equipment. All this is recorded on the parchment.

The visiting Brethren signed their names, and you will notice that several have surnames still present in the Quinte area.

Here are some of the names identified as read:

Arthur J. Bird W. M., Geo. Kingston PGS, Albert H. Downs PDDGM Dist. B. W. Ofernord PM, S. Chamberlain, IPM, E.S Vanderwater, Champlain, C.W. Delbroat, S. Kennedy, J. W. Russell JW, F.C.McKay JS, J.E. Weller, C.V. Langdon SW, R. M. Devins JD, W . Basil Cross SS, H.S. Vanervord MM, Charles G. Mikel PM, J.Roy Herrington PDDGM, A.K. Roberts, and R.S.Welch SD. Several signatures were hard to read. J.Roy Herrington PDDGM, A.K. Roberts, and R.S.Welch SD.

Several of the signatures were hard to read. Prince Edward Lodge 18 also has a similar Baton, presented in the 1920’s.

I would like to think our Franck Lodge brethren from the 1930’s as well as those from Bay of Quinte Lodge from that distant time would be pleased to know that almost 80 years later, this Baton is valued and still in use in Franck Lodge.

(By W. Bro. Peter Johnson  - Historian & Lodge Reporter Franck Lodge)